Please Don't Make Me Export the Terrain
Once it was time to export our levels we had to do a number of things. First we needed to export the terrain that we had created in unity and then import it as a texture in photoshop where we would change the format of the texture file. We would also have to do the same thing and more in order for the splat map to work in game.
On top of that we had to export a navmesh from Unity and import in to MAYA where we cleaned it up and then we imported the clean mesh into another program that was called meshlab, where we finally exported the finished navmesh. After that, we also had to export the level into an XML file and then some of the time our levels worked and sometimes they didn’t work. Most of the time though, it was unclear why our levels didn’t work.
Since this process was very time consuming we tried to avoid updating the terrain of our levels. The result was that, in the end, more time was spent exporting our levels than actually playing them and this had a negative impact on the finished product.
The terrain exporting process wasn't really anybody's fault, there just wasn't enough time to develop a better solution for the problem. Every step of the process was thouroughly documented however, so that made it easier.